The soft underbelly
The same happens with the lower front plate, just the numbers at play are much smaller. In 8.0, the LFP offers good protection against 170-180 avg pen guns. You have better chance for bounces at very close range (20 meters or lower). You can angle up to 30-35 degrees against 203 avg pen. In this position and at close you can expect bounces by the aforementioned average penetration on two-third of the LFP (“middle” and “opposite”). Higher level guns can bounce if they hit the “opposite” part of the curved armor.
- Range can help to protect the UFP. Turreted or just very tall vehicles with average or poor gun depression cannot aim lower than the reinforced beak armor or the slightly stronger armor “belt” below at 20 meters or closer. Then again, at such range your cupola is exposed. Trade-offs, remember? You should not forget that tanks like IS-7 or E-100 love close encounters, and it’s very hard to shake them off. The reverse speed of the E5 is very poor.
- There are two zones with less than 60 mm armor thickness at the bottom left and right. I’m not sure they were there in 7.2, but I haven’t found them particularly alarming now. For one, they are hard to hit, you can just shoot the plain air between the hull and the tracks instead. Two, only direct HE hits do significant damage there, close ones on the tracks, on the ground or on the “normally” armored parts are not really different from each other.
- Search out firing positions where your lower hull is covered like elevations, hills, other terrain objects, wrecks, etc. A T110E5 with hidden LFP is very hard to kill from the front, especially at range.
The turret hasn’t really changed since 7.5, only the sloped parts of the commander1s cupola are raised by one gun level.
- As a general rule, you have to aim at the base and at the middle of the cupola. The edges, especially the rotating part can bounce even endgame guns if they hit at a bad angle. You can protect the cupola by constant moving and by the shortest possible exposure time.
- The closer to the mantlet parts of the “cheeks” are weaker, but the rest of the turret armor are very reliable. roof included.
- The 76 mm turret roof armor can be overmatched and penetrated by Tier X TD guns with over 15 cm calibre.
Eagle18, Sinenfutorepatolvaj, Skywalker